Induction for beginners
The Induction program for beginner members takes place over four consecutive Tuesday evenings, starting on the first Tuesday of each month. You will become a temporary member of the Club for the duration of the program. We hope you like it and extend your membership afterwards to become a full-time member!
- We meet each Tuesday night at 6.30 pm at Shadwell Basin.
- We normally gather outside the Club Office. This is marked "A" on the site plan.
- Please sign the list before you get changed.
- The first week does start with more discussion, but otherwise we should be ready to get on the water by 7pm.
- We plan to be off the water around 8.30 pm so that people have time to shower and still get to the pub in time to order food.
- The last week ends with a discussion in the pub, so you will be later getting home.
The cost of temporary membership varies seasonally and is payable on booking.
- The fee is not refundable and no credits will be given for missed sessions.
- For dates, availability and pricing, see the online booking page.
Induction program content
The program is based around the syllabus for the BC Discover Award (copies will be available) but we will also cover some theory and aim for a game or two.
The overall plan is something like this:
|Week 1||General introduction to the club, the kit and getting your kayak to go where you want it to go.
We end the evening with a capsize drill, so be prepared to get completely wet.
|Week 2||An overview of different types of canoes and kayaks, with the chance to try as many different types as we can fit into the evening.|
|Week 3||A bit of discussion about theory and back into the kayaks for more detailed instruction on getting these things to do what you want them to do.|
|Week 4||One of our senior coaches will assess the whole group - taking everyone through everything covered in the previous three weeks (including another capsize drill).
After the paddling session, the group meets again in the pub for a short session to cover the theory aspects of the syllabus.
Successful completion of this assessment should lead to you being awarded your BC Discover Award and being invited to join the Club as a full member.
We do provide the boats, the paddles, buoyancy aids and a lightweight cagoule (mainly to keep out the wind and splashes - not to keep you dry).
We do not provide wetsuits, shoes or wetsuit boots.
After the program
We hope you will enjoy the program and want to stay on as a full-time member. There is more information on what to do next.